TO ADVOCATE – ADVOCARE – Latin for “Call for Support”
What is Advocacy?
- The act or process of supporting a cause or proposal. (Merriam-Webster)
- Putting a problem on the agenda.
- Building Public Will (Policy, Regulation, Legislation, Finance).
- Influencing Public Policy.
Is it legal for nonprofits?
Yes! However, nonprofits cannot campaign on behalf of elected officials and there are limits to
the percentage of total expenses for advocacy that are allowed as tax-exempt.
Tools of Advocacy
- Research / Reports
- Public opinion polls
- Focus groups
- Voter engagement
- Building coalitions
- Publishing public commentary
- Meetings with elected officials
- Speaking at public meetings
- Bolder Advocacy
- IRS Lobbying Regulations Guide